Plumpton Parish Council
Accessibility Statement for Plumpton Parish Council
This accessibility statement applies to Plumpton Parish Council’s website. This site is run by Plumpton Parish Council.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some pdf documents are not accessible. (Pdf stands for “portable document format“. Essentially, the format is used when you need to save files that cannot be modified but still need to be easily shared and printed.)
- Some information is displayed in tables which might be difficult to access with a screen reader
- Some information is provided as pdf documents instead of html pages.
- The search form is not tagged properly.
Feedback and Contact Information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible pdf or large print, please contact the clerk to the parish council:
- Send an email to the Clerk to the Parish Council, Anita Emery: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call her on telephone 07570 445501
- Or you can write to her:
Plumpton Parish CouncilPO Box 292HartfieldTN6 9FB
We will consider your request and get back to you within a week (unless the clerk is on annual leave, in which case it may be slightly longer).
Reporting Accessibility Problems with this Website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact the clerk to the parish council.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical Information about this Website’s Accessibility
Plumpton Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- There are links to further information which opens up pdf documents. Going forward, whenever possible, information will be posted as html files instead of pdf documents.
- Agendas and Minutes have not got descriptive link titles. Descriptive titles will be used going forward.
- Alt text on the “Gateway to the Downs” poster on the home page is missing. This will be fixed before the end of June 2020. (Alt text, or alternative text, is a word or phrase that can be inserted into a document to tell web site viewers the nature or contents of an image.)
- Some pdf logos on the Documents page are links to the pdf document but without alt text. Remove the link in order to be consistent with the rest of the site. This will be fixed before 20 September 2020.
- The images of the Village Hall on the Village Hall site are so small that they must be considered decorative and alt text should therefore be removed. Alternatively, if larger versions of the images are available, links to those can be provided and appropriate alt text inserted. This will be fixed before 20 September 2020.
- There is a search form as part of the heading on all pages. It is represented by a magnifying glass icon. When you click the icon, a form field appears. This search facility is not as obvious as it could be if it had the word “Search” in it or if the form was visible without having to click on the magnifying glass icon. However, this search facility is provided as part of the Divi theme used for this website and cannot be customised. We will give feedback to Divi and hopefully this will be taken into consideration in future updates of the theme. (This site is a WordPress site, and has been created using a theme called Divi. A WordPress theme provides all of the front end styling of a WordPress site so determines what it looks like.)
- Village Hall hire form pdf document has fields which are not obvious. The form will be redesigned by 20 September.
- ARIA Landmarks should ideally be used. However, these are not settings which can be accessed when using the Divi Theme. We will contact the developers of the theme to investigate whether this will be possible in future versions of the theme. (ARIA landmarks are attributes you can add to elements in your page to define areas like the main content or a navigation region.)
- Lots of information on the website is presented in tables, notably minutes/agendas, Village Hall hire rates and accessibility evaluation results. This can be a challenge to screen readers. The tables headings are correctly tagged and the tables makes the content easier to access for a majority of people so will be kept in tables unless we are approached by users who need the information in a different format.
Content that’s not within the Scope of the Accessibility Regulations
PDFs and other Documents
- None of our pdf, Word and Excel documents are essential to providing our services. Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards from 20 September.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 5 June 2020. It will be reviewed in September 2020.
This website was last tested in May-June 2020. The test was carried out by Treaty Services Ltd. who manages the website on a day to day basis.
You can read the full accessibility report: Accessibility Evaluation Report.